There are a number of products, some new, some not, that are environmentally cutting edge:
- Bamboo has grown in popularity for everything from cooking utensils to flooring and cabinets.
- Bamboo is actually a grass and one of the fastest growing plants in the world, adding to its status as a highly sustainable material.
High-pressure laminate (HPL) is a more accurate description.
- HPLs are made of many layers of paper bonded with melamine resins under heat and pressure.
- Many HPLs are GreenGuard© certified for low environmental emissions.
- It is a relatively inexpensive surfacing material and easy to replace as budget or design allows.
- HPLs are available in a staggering variety of colors and textures.
An important factor in “going green” is the proximity of a product to your location. Closer is better, since shipping products and materials over long distances increases the carbon footprint. Suppliers shipping long distances alleviate this issue somewhat bu utilizing more efficient high-volume shipping methods. When possible, working with a local manufacturer is a green option.